Slack is a cloud-based set of proprietary team collaboration tools and services.
¶ A) Create Slack Application
- If not already the case, create a workspace for your organization on Slack.
- Nagivate to the Your Apps page to create a new app.
- Enter a name (e.g. Wiki) and select your workspace.
- Click Create App.
- Once the app is created, click on OAuth & Permissions from the left sidebar.
- Under the Scope section, add the following scopes:
identity.avatar - View user’s Slack avatar
identity.basic - Confirm user’s identity
identity.email - View user’s email address
- Click on Basic Information from the left sidebar.
- Under the App Credentials section, copy the Client ID and Client Secret values. We'll need them later.
¶ B) Enable the Slack strategy in Wiki.js
- In the Administration Area of your wiki, click on Authentication in the left navigation.
- Click on Slack.
- Enter the Client ID and Client Secret values copied earlier.
- Enter the Team / Workspace ID. (e.g. If your url is acme.slack.com, you would enter acme)
- Enable the Self-registration option (unless you plan on authorizing users manually).
- Select the group new users should be assigned to when they login for the first time.
- Make sure the checkbox next to Slack in the list of strategies is checked. The text should now say that the strategy is active.
- Click Apply on the upper right of the page to save and apply the configuration.
- Copy the Callback URL / Redirect URI value found below the settings.
¶ C) Enter the allowed endpoints on Slack
Going back to the app page on the Slack website, click on OAuth & Permissions in the left sidebar. Under the Redirect URLs section, add the redirect URL to your wiki you just copied. Click the Save URLs button when done.
While optional, it's also recommended to set a description and logo under Basic Information > Display Information for easy identification by your end users.
Finally, click the Install App to Workspace button at the top to authorize this application on your workspace.